- Be sure your chimney has had a thorough cleaning and has been inspected at least once this year.
- If you burn wood, use seasoned wood. Avoid scrap wood, treated wood, and of course, trash.
- Be sure to have a fireplace screen in place.
- Make sure there is a three foot safety zone around your fireplace. This should be free of any flammable material.
- Never use flammable liquids to start a fire.
- ALWAYS extinguish the fire before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Last but not least, there should be a working smoke and carbon monoxide detector installed on all levels of your home. This is especially important near sleeping areas.
Have a safe winter!
Conner Insurance Agency